Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Before I Continue on My Quest for the Nolan Ancestors



WRITE IT DOWN


For me, I think it is very helpful to gather all my research and start composing the information into a story. Once I do that I am able to see where I am missing important clues to create a genealogical sketch that other people can follow and make sense of.

That happened when I started working on my first article “George F. Howe of Bridport, Vermont, Ticonderoga, NY, and Worcester, Massachusetts” that I entered in the MASSOG Writing Contest in 2010. I didn’t win, but my goal was to get my article published, which was accomplished in the “MASSOG”,[1] Summer issue, 2011. That whole experience was quite humbling, with some highs and lows, but I wouldn’t trade the experience for the anything. From the very start of going to the classes with some of the other participants, learning the basics of how to write an article, sharing our articles with each other, and thinking how much better the other people articles were; then submitting my work I learnt so much. All of the participants were very helpful in critiquing each other’s articles, thus making it a worthwhile learning experience. 

When the MASSOG Editorial Board accepted my article for publication that is when the real work began.  They are extremely professional and taught me the proper way to cite my facts. I really learned a lot from them. My hat goes off to all of them for doing a great job as dedicated volunteer s. They were extremely patient. Thanks to all of you.



[1] Genealogical Journal for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts published 3 times a year, Massachusetts Society of Genealogists, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment