Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Susan Ellen Howe, Harry Hall - Why important to review your notes

Candy tuft 2015 taken by Genevieve De Haan
I have heard it many times from many different speakers. It is very important to go over your past notes in your research. But I was quite surprised the other day when I was going through research notes that my sister and I had done in a previous research trip to Ticonderoga New York a couple years ago. We had gone  to the Ticonderoga  Historical Society in the historic Hancock house at 6 Moses Circle, Ticonderoga, N.Y. 12883  http://ticonderogahistoricalsociety.org/
Judy was taking notes on the index of the Ticonderoga Sentinel newspapers. Going over her notes last week I found the following:

         George Howe c Hall, Mrs. Susie
         file 1874-1919 HIK-KYl
         died at Chilson December 24, 1917 age 33 wife of 
         Harry Hall, dau. of Mr. and Mrs. George Howes of 
         Ticonderoga Surv. husband, six children, parents + 
          two sisters

If you are like me you are just in "overload" when you come back from a research trip trying to digest all the wonderful things you have discovered. So looking back, I guess I did not have my "thinking cap" on so just went over our notes and then filed everything away in their proper files to look over at a later date. Boy oh boy was I ever surprised about the above information I have been sitting on for quite a some time now, so when I looked over it "bells and whistles" went off in my head and I immediately went to the following website http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/ to search the newspaper for Susie's (Susan Ellen) obituary and then the announcement of her marriage.
Her marriage is in the Ticonderoga sentinel. (Ticonderoga, Essex County, N.Y.) 188?-1982, March 15, 1900, Page 7, Image 7 - NYS Historic Newspapers.

             Transcription Chilson - Harry Hall and 
                                      Miss Susie Howe, 
                                      were united in marriage by 
                                      Orville Phillips last Thursday evening.

Her obituary http://bit.ly/1cLAR6J
Ticonderoga sentinel. (Ticonderoga, Essex County, N.Y.) 188?-1982, January 03, 1918, Page 6, Image 6 - NYS Historic Newspapers.

I believe that I'm on to something very important here. So I e-mailed the Ticonderoga Town Clerk's office to see if they had a marriage record for Harry Hall and Susie Howe.
Also on a hunch, after e-mailing and talking to the Crown Point's Town Clerk I asked the Ticonderoga Town Clerk's office to see if they had the marriage record for a Robert Anderson and a Clara Hall (I will explain why later). After many e-mails back and forth trying to make sure it was my family. They said that I needed to sent them $22.00/each for a genealogical purposes only Certified Transcript and a copy of my Driver's License.

Before spending any money I wanted to be quite sure that I had the right family, so I checked the entire 1900 US Federal Census of the Town of Ticonderoga. There were 63 pages that I went through one by one and I could only find one Howe family listed in the Town of Ticonderoga, so I felt that it was a pretty safe assumption it would be money well spent.
Ancestry.com. Year: 1900; Census Place: Ticonderoga, Essex, New York; Roll: 1035; Page: 7A; Enumeration District: 0052; FHL microfilm: 1241035

I promptly sent them a check for $44.00 and held my breath that it would be my families record. Because in New York you are not allowed to know or see what is on the record before you pay for it. I will let you know my results next week as they arrived today.

No comments:

Post a Comment