Friday, February 26, 2016

First DAR Meeting


I went to my first DAR meeting on Saturday February 13, 2016. Here in Massachusetts and the rest of North East United States we were experiencing very cold and brutal weather. The temperatures were well below zero. The wind chills in Worcester were -17 degrees F. They were advising us to wear layers of clothes and not expose our skin to the weather for any length of time. When I read the e-mail from Ginger Carter, Registrar of the Colonel Timothy Bigelow Chapter of the DAR in Worcester Immediately I decided that it was time to go to a meeting even if the weather was bone-chilling cold. I am not a winter person. Thus I have to force myself out.

I got to the Chapter House (The Timothy Paine House,) “The Oaks” built circa 1774 early. As I walked around the first floor I got the feeling that I had made a mistaken the time, but thought there were cars out front. The next person that came in the building was the Chaplain, Judith Wood , the Chapter Chaplain and she greeted me very warmly; then took me under her wing and brought me upstairs and introduced me to Linda Hart, Regent. I felt at home at once thanks to these wonderful women.
From there I was introduced to several women and we went downstairs to have coffee; I felt very embraced and lucky to be in their company. Then the meeting started and I was sworn in as an official member of the DAR. 
Me (Genevieve Vaundell De Haan, L-R, Judith Wood, Chaplain, Ginger Carter, Registrar, Linda Hart, RegentPhoto taken by Jennifer Willson
During the meeting I heard about all the wonderful projects this Chapter is participating in. They are a busy bunch and there is quite a diversity of projects. It was a very exciting experience. After the business meeting there was a presentation of the Chapter's major project. Restoration of the their home "The Timothy Paine House" circa 1774. I love old houses and think we should preserve more of them, after all they are our history along with the people who built and maintained them.
My Revolutionary soldier is Jonathan Treadway born in Connecticut.

No comments:

Post a Comment